Embedded Device Engineer
The Embedded Device Engineer role is responsible for designing feature rich embedded software and hardware for microcontroller based devices used in the industrial and commercial environmental monitoring space. The Embedded Device Engineer is a key stakeholder on a broader engineering team, responsible for developing and supporting the company’s product line of network based monitoring products. The Embedded Device Engineer will take part in cradle to grave design projects with his or her key responsibility being the delivery and maintenance of feature rich, expandable, embedded, software to support the company’s growing ecosystem of interconnected hardware and software products.
Essential Job Functions
- Work with design team to identify and select hardware and software platforms for new products to best suit market requirements
- Create embedded software to support intuitive control and management of the company’s growing line of network enabled embedded environmental monitoring products.
- Implement browser based user interfaces for setup of embedded devices for initial setup and control of devices
- Develop and implement control interfaces using BMS protocols such as Modbus and BACNet
- Expand PermAlert’s API frameworks using standard network technologies including REST architecture and MQTT protocol with JSON objects
- Ensure best security practices are maintained through secure connections using TLS and with encryption methods such as AES
- Analyze product requirements to determine project timeline and key deliverables for new developments
- Recommend the use of external development when necessary to expand competencies to ensure development goals are met
- Support and improve legacy product lines with software features and hardware updates to maintain functionality and competitiveness in a changing technology landscape
- Create testing and maintenance procedures for designs to verify functionality and ensure quality
- Produce and maintain instructions manuals, white papers, data sheets and other user focused materials related to products
- Specify electronic systems, instruments and equipment to ensure they meet applicable regulations and safety standards
- Identify and manage required conformance testing for given product and market
- Interact with third party testing labs and regulatory bodies to ensure compliance to safety and performance norms
- Perform failure analysis to create FMEA and MTF criteria
- Use engineering equipment and software in completion of engineering tasks
- Performs other duties/ projects as assigned or as required by the position
The Embedded Device Engineer works with an engineering team including Junior Engineers, the Sr. Electronics Engineer, Engineering Technicians, and production personnel. Under the guidance of the Sr. Electronics Engineer, the Embedded Device Engineer is responsible for planning, documenting and executing development tasks to achieve design goals. The Embedded Device Engineer reports to the Electronics Product Manager.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in electrical, electronics, or computer engineering required with a strong background in embedded electronics software design is preferred
- Strong knowledge of electronic design principals
- Working knowledge of embedded peripheral interfaces such as SPI, I2C, RMII
- Past embedded development experience utilizing in circuit debuggers and embedded integrated development environments
- Understanding of task and event based real-time operating systems such as FreeRTOS and TIRTOS
- Knowledge of embedded microcontroller architecture: ARM Cortex-M, PIC32, HCS12, 8051
- Experience with MQTT, HTTP, TLS, AES for secure communications between distributed embedded devices
- Attention to detail, excellent interpersonal and communication skills, computer proficiency, works well in a team environment
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Travel: As needed for field analysis and support
Equipment To Be Used
Must be able to operate computer and other office machines and other equipment as the job requires, ORCAD Capture suite, Oscilloscopes, DMM, varied IDE/ICDs for software design.
Requires sitting, bending, and reaching. May require lifting up to 25 pounds. Requires manual agility sufficient to operate standard office machines and other equipment as the position requires. Requires normal range of hearing and vision.
Must handle diverse work problems on a daily basis. Must be able to resolve problems, handle conflict and make effective decisions under pressure. Works in a small core team including engineering, management and production personnel. Must relate and interact with people at all levels in the Company.
Works in a typical office setting. This position may require working overtime on an as needed basis. This position may also require field visits to construction sites or hazardous locations as needed for field analysis and support.
PERMA-PIPE provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy, gender identity, equal pay, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), mental or physical disability, veteran status or genetic information.” to the PermAlert job postings (to be the same as is shown on the permapipe.com job postings